httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: GNU Portable Threads (pth)
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:47:38 GMT
> ??? I'm not very aware of licensing issues, so i don't understand this. Isn't
> anyone supposed to do whatever he wants with GPL/LGPL soft as long as they
> provide the original code with source at no charge ???

No, there are all sorts of problems with it.  For example, this clause
from the GPL:

    b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
    whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
    part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
    parties under the terms of this License.

So, if a corporation were to take just a single line of code from a GPL'ed
package and include it in a product, then the entire product must be put
under the GPL.  In legal terms this ends up extending itself to any
patents a corporation may hold as well.

And the LGPL isn't any better in this respect.  It says:

  a) The modified work must itself be a software library.
  b) You must cause the files modified to carry prominent notices stating
     that you changed the files and the date of any change.
  c) You must cause the whole of the work to be licensed at no charge
     to all third parties under the terms of this License.

Basically there is just no way any GPL nor LGPL code can be compatible
with the Apache license if we want to continue with the idea that we want
corporations to be involved with the development and have them create
commercial versions.

-Rasmus