httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jay B Parker <...@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Subject Re: Apache open PR summary for Sat Jul 17 03:06:00 PDT 1999
Date Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:40:39 GMT
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Marc Slemko wrote:
> > 2978 mod_prox open ProxyPass w/ Authentcation gives 407 not 401.
> > 3027 mod_prox open ProxyPass whith authentication, use PROXY-Authenticate header,
and not WWW-Authenticate
> > 4539 mod_prox open Reverse proxy & Apache authentication returns incorrect MIME
header
> > 4693 mod_prox open Using <Directory proxy:*></Directory> fails when
trying to do user authorisation

> All four of the above problems seem to be the same - Apache sends
> a 407 to the browser instead of a 401 when Apache is configured to
> add username/password authentication to a reverse proxied website.
>
> My patch, based on adding a 3rd state to the r->proxyreq for
> "reverse proxy" in addition to "normal" and "proxy" has been
> running here for about two months and has worked great so far.
>
> Another patch using a different method is included in 2978, I'm
> not sure how this method works.

If I remember correctly, it just disables the 407 response altogether.
This fixes basic auth for reverse-proxies but presumably breaks it for
normal ones.  Doesn't sound like a contender.

> It would be nice to wrap this up, kill some entries in the PR
> database, and stop me having to patch Apache each time I upgrade
> it ;)

As another data point, our sysadmin group is currently waffling on
committing to support this functionality for a client department
because of the potential overhead of patching future releases.

> Is it possible to look at these two patches and see if one of them
> can be included for v1.3.7?

Note that there are also some closed PR's reporting the same issue,
and a DejaNews search indicates that this is a recurring area of admin
frustration.  This seems like a place where a small fix could make a
lot of people happy.  (Or maybe just make a few people ecstatic, but
who's counting?)

-jbp

--
Jay Parker - Unix Systems Analyst - MSU Information Technology Services
 jbp@its.msstate.edu  -  http://www.msstate.edu/~jbp/  -  662-325-0741