httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tani Hosokawa <unkn...@riverstyx.net>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:22:02 GMT
On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Brian Havard wrote:

> >BH> Yeah, fair point but this isn't a problem on OS/2 where I can trap segfaults
> >BH> (and other fatal errors like div 0) and just kill the offending thread.
> >
> >Not when this "offending thread" already destroyed important structures :-))
> >Common address space is common address space...
>
> Hmmm, good point. How prone are pools to corruption if some code writes past
> the end of its allocated space (the most common cause of heap corruption)?
>
> If a child's pool could be cleaned up after a segfault, is there much chance
> of it working if the above occurs?

If you've just had a segfault, I think it'd be far safer to just toss the
entire shared memory space (and the process along with it) rather than
hope that everything will be "OK enough" to proceed.  I mean, really... if
somethings gone that awry in the process, chances are its tainted
*something* that'll come back and bite you a couple requests down the
line...

My two bits.

---
tani hosokawa