httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tani Hosokawa <unkn...@riverstyx.net>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Fri, 09 Jul 1999 19:12:34 GMT
On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Vincent Janelle wrote:

> Also, some systems limit the max number of FDS per process to a tiny
> amount, and this doesn't get changed with a threaded process.  The
> entire webserver would only be able to handle up to `uname -n` open
> files across the system.  This means read(), etc..  The forked off
> processes would handle that AFAIK.
>
> I still like the idea of a logger process though.  Oh well.  It would
> handle the opening of all the logs, etc..  It could also make it
> possible to do remote logging?
>
> I think I've been talking to the fhttpd author too much =)

It would also let you consolidate all your log writing into one burst to
make your disk activity more efficient... Like with IIS, where you can set
it to only log when its got 'x' bytes to write to disk.  I do that right
now using a piped log, but it might be more efficient if it was done in
the server.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet