httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/apr config.guess config.sub Makefile.in configure.in
Date Thu, 15 Jul 1999 13:01:00 GMT

> Whoa...  You should have told me that you were using mod_php as a model.
> That is not necessarily a good thing to do.  I know in your APR stuff you
> don't have a crucial need for automake/libtool features, but an
> Apache-wide configuration implementation does need these so you would
> probably be better off using some packages that use
> automake/libtool/autoconf in conjunction as a model.  Things change a bit
> in an automake scenario.  The biggest change being that configure.in is
> generated from individual m4 files.  This means that instead of having
> a single configure.in file that has to figure everything out, each
> module, or extension, or however you want to chop things up, can have
> its own set of rules specific to it.  The PHP4 configuration mechanism
> would be a place to start looking, although it isn't complete yet.

I'm really not at that stage yet.  I am really just looking to get
comfortable with autoconf right now.  I am more using php and mm as a
reference while reading the info pages.  Unless we are going to thoroughly
tie apr and apache together, I don't think what Apache needs is an issue.
Apache can always just call APR's ./configure to configure APR.  I do not
want to add more to APR's autoconf than is needed right now.  If APR needs
the libtool/automake stuff later, than it can be redone.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd