httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Shared memory in APR. (fwd)
Date Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:28:50 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Michael H. Voase wrote:

> Gday,
>
> 	Alright, I see what I missed. Ill get out the
> paper bag and sit in the corner for a while to cool off ;).
>
> 	So in that case I can peel of a fork of
> apr and convert it into a portability lib?

Why bother forking it.  As soon as I figure out autoconf completely,
you'll be able to do things like:

./configure --enable-pools=no --enable-tables=no --enable-pthreads=no
--enable-malloc=yes.

This will build a version of that looks like the one apache will use, but
won't have pool support, instead it will use malloc. It also won't have
the tables that apache needs, and it will not have threading in it.

This is in plan.  Maybe that's my problem.  I am going to start up a
STATUS.apr file today, and actually talk about the plans for apr.  That
should make things easier to track.. :)

Ryan

> Cheers Mik Voase.
>
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > >       So why have memory handling features in
> > > apr at all?
> >
> > Because the alternatives are expensive.  malloc/free are not cheap
> > functions to use.  By providing a pool, I save time when I have to
> > allocate an apr type.  You don't want pools, fine replace them.  It isn't
> > hard.  There are a finite set of functions that implement the pools in
> > apr.  Granted, right now they are hidden in a few files, but really there
> > are just a few of them.  With a few well placed ifdefs, ap_palloc becomes
> > malloc.  It's really not that hard.
> >

> --
>  /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
>  | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
>  |         |            Phone +612 6567 1227 Fax +612 6567 1449
>  |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
>  |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          Castle Industries - Industrial Strength
> Solutions.

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd