httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:40:56 GMT

> > Well, I can see that the hybrid model makes sense on some platforms but I
> > don't believe OS/2 is one of them so I'll continue working on my single
> > process/multi-thread OS/2 mpm. This model may also be suitable for other
> > platforms like BeOS or Win32.
> You know I'm starting to agree with you on unix systems which have kernel
> threads, it's looking more and more complex to support multiple process
> hybrid models.

Yes, it is complex to support a hybrid server.  But it is also MUCH more
reliable than a purely threaded model.  Unless, that is, we want to get
rid of third-party modules.  We take the risk that a third-party module is
going to do something it shouldn't, and seg-fault the server process, and
take it down.  We should not be catching SIGSEGV on any system where
threads cannot reliably catch their own signals (e.g. UNIX, Windows).  If
we get a sigsegv, we should just be dying and allowing our parent to bring
back anothr child process.

Ryan Bloom
4205 S Miami Blvd