httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Shared memory in APR. (fwd)
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:27:58 GMT

I want shared memory in APR, but I hit a problem that I am having a hard
time designing around.  Any shared memory model we use, has to work across
a for and a fork/exec.  The MM library, AFAIK, only works across a fork,
which doesn't make it portable for platforms like Win32, or any other that
doesn't have fork.  What we need, is a function like
get_shared_mem_in_child() (but named something much shorter), that allows
the child to specify a key, and returns the shared memory segment.  I
haven't had the time to invest to put this code into MM, so I have put it
off.  I mentioned this problem in my note about releasing APR 0.9.  Ralf,
if I am missing something, please let me know.  If not, shared memory
won't go into APR until I somebody figures out how to get it into MM.

Ryan

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.990701215625.30997F-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you
wrote:

> > I think this is an excellent way to get mm into the tree.
> >
> > Dean
>
> > [...]
> >> First of all, Please copy me on any response, because I am not on the core
> >> list.
> >>
> >> Ralf and I have had a VERY brief discussion about putting MM into APR, and
> >> what that will entail.  I am including the entire conversation below.
> >> Could somebody just let me know if Ralf's solution is the correct solution
> >> for cases like this.
> > [...]
> >> So I think you should do the following: _Import_ (cvs
> >> import!) MM 1.0.8 into the APR source tree (for easier upgrading to
> >> forthcoming versions in case APR wants to or has to adjust the source) and let
> >> me add a special note to a the README.APR inside its source tree which
> >> explicitly says that this version has special license priviledges like not
> >> having to fulfill the ad clause, etc.
>
> Ryan, what's the current state? Do you still want this?  Or do you want it
> different? If yes, into which directory MM should be imported?
>
>                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
>                                        rse@engelschall.com

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd