httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: pthreads in apr ...
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:29:24 GMT

I agree, but it was decided long ago that apr isn't ready to be it's own
project yet.  If apr gets enough support, then one day it may become it's
own project.  For right now, I would suggest we move apr into the mpm
tree, in it's own directory.  The repository would look like:

apache-2.0/mpm
          /apr

This allows people to downlaod either one they want without getting both,
but ties apr in with the server, which means more people see it, which in
turns meeans more people help contributre to it (hopefully).  This would
also make it impossilbe to download the server for the first time without
getting apr, which will at some point be essential for using the server.

Sorry about mis-understanding the original question.  :)

Ryan

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Michael H. Voase wrote:

> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > there is a hyrid server in the mpm work, this is not a pthread server, and
> > it is not meant to be.  The apr work has been done to allow us to abstract
> > out code.  Beos, Windwos, and Unix all have different threading api,
> > AFAIK.  If we use the pthreads api, that limits the number of machines
> > that can use any mpm.
> [snip]
>
> 	Agreed . However , that wasnt me question ...
> Im just asking if pthreads ( the server ) needs to be
> in the same tree as apr ? Admittedly , it will need
> a copy of apr so that it can be ported to it , however
> wouldnt it be more convenient to boot pthreads out into
> its own tree so that the apr tree just contains apr ?
> Its a trivial thing but it will save heaps on downloading ...
>
> ( I kicked pthreads out meself and found that the
> apache-apr source tree would drop from 1.6Mb , down
> to about 170Kb ...... ;)
>
> Cheers Mik Vaoase.
>
> --
>  /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
>  | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
>  |         |            Phone +612 6567 1227 Fax +612 6567 1449
>  |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
>  |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          Castle Industries - Industrial Strength
> Solutions.

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd