httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:26:06 GMT

I have spoken to MANY people about this in the last few days.  There are
now two platforms I know of which can handle a seg fault within a thread.
They are MVS and AS/400.  It is possible for OS/2 to catch a sigsegv, it
is also possible for UNIX to do this.  I have spoken to two different OS/2
programmers, who agree that catching a sigsegv and treating it as if it
never happened is not a good idea.  There is no garauntee that the thread
that caused the sigsegv will be the one to get the signal.  IMHO, this is
a bad idea, and it should be re-considered.

Ryan

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> 10-Jul-99 14:39 you wrote:

> >>A segfault won't take out 100% of your server's capacity,
> >>for one thing.
>
> BH> Yeah, fair point but this isn't a problem on OS/2 where I can trap segfaults
> BH> (and other fatal errors like div 0) and just kill the offending thread.
>
> Not when this "offending thread" already destroyed important structures :-))
> Common address space is common address space...

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd