httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: pthreads in apr ...
Date Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:22:48 GMT

there is a hyrid server in the mpm work, this is not a pthread server, and
it is not meant to be.  The apr work has been done to allow us to abstract
out code.  Beos, Windwos, and Unix all have different threading api,
AFAIK.  If we use the pthreads api, that limits the number of machines
that can use any mpm.  While this makes sense in some cases, in general,
it makes more sense to abstract out the threading calls, IMHO.  This means
that if we execute all of the different mpm's on a system, and the hybrid
one works the best, the porting was done for us.  It also means that we
can implement a PORTABLE mpm module, and any new platform just has to port
APR, and they don't really need to understand the Apache code until they
have a working server they can study.  The plan was nad still is AFAIK, to
change the hybrid mpm to use apr calls as soon as we re-synch with 1.3.7.

Ryan

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, Michael H. Voase wrote:

> Gday,
>
> 	Just a quick question , now that pthread has
> been ported to apache 2 , is there any reason for
> it being in the apr source tree ?
>
> Cheers Mik Voase.
>
> --
>  /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
>  | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
>  |         |            Phone +612 6567 1227 Fax +612 6567 1449
>  |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
>  |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          Castle Industries - Industrial Strength
> Solutions.

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd