httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject APR v0.9 is ready!
Date Thu, 01 Jul 1999 20:11:00 GMT

The Apache Portable Run-time is ready for general consumption.  There is
one directory in the apr tree which doesn't do anything.  This is
apr/shmem/*.  Basically, the code works as long as you just fork() a new
process, but in order for this to be portable to all of the APR platforms,
shared memory must be accessible after the equivalent of a fork() and
exec().  My feeling, is that this is not a necessary function for APR
v1.0.  The scoreboard could use the function, but that looks like it is
going to be completely re-designed for 2.0 anyway.  Shared Memory support
WILL be in some future release of APR.

So, what does APR have?

Support for the following platforms:
Win32, BeOS (everything except signals), Any POSIX compliant platform,
parts of OS/2

Support for the following types:
files, sockets, locks, signals, threads, processes, time, memory
pools/contexts

as well as
tables, arrays, and a few other structures from Apache 1.3

What needs more work:
Configuration (this is next), shared memory, accessor functions.

Most of the accessor functions are written, there are a few that I still
need to write.  These are basically to allow a program to get the platform
specific type from the abstracted type.  Not to worry, these will be
written to be portable.

What is left in plan:
Queues, Stacks, Asynch I/O primitives, Layered I/O primitives

The code can be found in apache-apr/apr and the header files are in
apache-apr/include.

Many thanks to:
David Reid for doing the BeOS port
Ken Coar for doing the initial autoconf work and porting types from
    Apache-1.3
Brian Havard for doing the OS/2 work
Ben Hyde for questioning everything and making the design better.  :)

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd