httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: cache GC check after fork patch (fwd)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 02:33:34 GMT
Has anyone figured out the proxy problems in 1.3.7 yet?  There's a few
messages around the 4th of jun which have more info if someone wants to
look into it.  I can't remember if it's been fixed or not.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Scott Hess <>
Subject: Re: cache GC check after fork patch
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:36:37 -0700

On June 4, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Scott Hess wrote:
> > While testing the graceful shutdown patch I posted yesterday, I also ran
> > across this one.  The ap_proxy_garbage_coll() function in proxy_cache.c
> > fork()s a child process, _then_ checks whether it's time to garbage
> > As far as I can currently tell, this means that a child is forked for
> > cachable request that comes in.
> By my reading, should_proxy_garbage_coll is called before forking... and
> the test you're suggesting is done in there -- although you did it a
> different way, so maybe it's just the logic in should_proxy_garbage_coll
> which is broken.

Excellent point!  I had made the fix in 1.3.4 (which we're still using for
whatever reason), then checked the current release before posting it - but I
was unfortunately checking the 1.3.6 release, rather than the preliminary
1.3.7 release.

> There is definately some bug with the 1.3.7 proxy -- graham eliminated
> his hanging troubles with 1.3.7-dev by using the 1.3.6 proxy code instead.

Any such bug is definitely not addressed by my change.

Thanks for your forbearance,

View raw message