httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] AP vs APR prefix change in Apache...
Date Thu, 08 Jul 1999 15:42:42 GMT

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Michael H. Voase wrote:

> 	The key point here is that mpm provides a key
> cross architecture system . Thus it is a focus of
> cross library compatibility .

But mpm lacks some things which we need in the core code, such as process
spawning, and shared mem; it also lacks some things which APR supplies
which modules will want.  So I see APR as being a necessary thing.

APR doesn't provide threading per-se, it relies on there being an
underlying thread implementation... such as pth.  It's complementary --
APR just provides us with an abstraction to the thread interfaces so that
we can write code which has no idea what the underlying thread interface
is.

Dean