httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Spidaman The Defenestrator <spida...@salon.com>
Subject you know you're a geek when
Date Thu, 08 Jul 1999 07:27:09 GMT

...you wake up and you want to configure your Apache servers from piped
input.  In a similar manner to saying
<CustomLog>"|/path/to/log/munger"<CustomLog/>
I'd like to be able to have my httpd.conf just be
<Include>"/path/to/configuration/output|"<Include/>
which would make managing _clusters_ of Apache servers greatly simplified.
/path/to/configuration/output could be simply

#!/bin/sh
cat /some/httpd.conf

but a more powerful use would be a simple Perl script to fetch the
configuration parameters from a database.  Managing the cluster via a form
interface and mod_perl or PHP would be a snap.  Of course, some kind of
corba thing or something to HUP the servers upon a new database commit
would still be needed.  Anyway, it beats managing cluster configurations
with rdist or rsync, IMO.

Has any of this already been discussed for Apache 2.0 and I missed it?  I
really _should_ go back to bed now.  My hot cocoa is ready.
Dreamin',
-Ian

--
Salon Internet 				http://www.salon.com/
  HTTP mechanic, Perl diver, Mebwaster, Some of the above