httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <>
Subject Re: Mirror sites and geographic location...
Date Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:55:36 GMT

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> > > They are already categorized by country (yes, there is the perhaps
> > > mistaken assumption that [.com,.net,.org] = .us).  Categorizing further
> > > would be a bear to maintain, since network proximity is so variant over
> > > time.  If a mirror site wants to let us know about its
> > > location/connectivity, though, we do have a field for that in the DB.
> >
> > Though it would be tempting to copy across a small image map, where
> > maintainers can click on to get the lat/lon, and a second one generated
> > over night which has red dots. And user's can click for your 'nearest'.
> Yeah, if only whois records still had latitude/longitude as standard
> fields.  =)

I just ran the mirror.list against the ripe, asian and NIC whois, and then
used the 'grep'ped addresses against ai global gazetteer. But it is
hopeless, half the domains we have in places like e.g. hk are actually
registered in california. iAnd the other half... well guess how many
places there are called 'Rochester'...

I just adapted an old script to be a web based editor with map for the
'mirrors.lists' file. It is in http:/ But it would
mean luring any and all maintainers to that page. I guess I have to sit
down for an evening and manually map the 260 addresses or so before
bootstrapping this.

View raw message