httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: GNU Portable Threads (pth)
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 16:24:03 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <3780981A.D682A156@ibm.net> you wrote:
> > "Ralf S. Engelschall" wrote:
> >
> >> I just want to drop you multithreading fans a note that my GNU Portable
> >> Threads (pth) package is now available as version 1.0b2 from
> >> http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/ (formerly known under the coding-name NPS).
> >> It's licensed under LGPL and so it should not offend the non-GPL-friends under
> >> us ;)
> >
> > The LGPL pretty much rules out this being used in Apache. Most corporations and
> > Universities with patent portfolios cannot can't ship it, touch it or look at it.
> > How do you suppose I can build a product based on it?
>
> Why? LGPL explicitly allows the stuff to be used inside commercial stuff like
> yours and it doesn't force the using application to be under the same license.
> You can even build a product out of it as long as you make sure that your
> customers can get the source for the lib on request.

Sorry Ralf. Though that is most certainly the intention of the lesser GPL,
Article 5, second paragraph. Defer to Section 6a extends this quite a bit
further. At least for two parties both in the dutch or italian
jurisdiction. Programmers will easily read it as refering to just source
versus excecutables. Unfortunately it is not that simple, and for a dutch
company one ends up also opening what a programmer would call the source
of the 'work based on the library'. And from there any other IP on which
that might be based.

Dw.