httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Front end needs some work
Date Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:38:27 GMT

In a message dated 99-07-01 11:32:27 EDT, marc writes:

> State-Changed-From-To: open-feedback
> State-Changed-By: marc@apache.org
> State-Changed-When: Thu Jul  1 08:31:47 PDT 1999
> State-Changed-Why:
> Erm... can you be any less specific?  "an error message"
> Error messages have meanings if you read what they say.

Could someone please get this condescending, Erm... asshole
off the front-end? Put him in the back checking for APR buffer
overwrites or something.

You too.. Randy... example...
>Not acked. Seems he may be smoking something...

( Perfectly obvious this guy just needed a ping to tell him to )
( check his inetd buffer defaults on the various servers )

You guys have a current thread going called FUD which
is wrestling with the idea that Microsoft ( and others ) stand
a good chance of beating the crap out you and you're wondering
why and blaming it on Microsoft's 'bad behavior'.

If the shoe fits... wear it.

There is something called 'good support', you know.
It means something 'out there'.

And yes... sorry guys... that means you are
supposed to be polite even if you are laughing
behind your customer's backs.

If you are seriously thinking of taking on Microsoft
then put some people who know how to take
support calls on the front end.

The new-bug reports are not a 'flood'... sometimes
none come in for days... at worst after a new
release it's only a dozen or so a day and this
is no reason to pull the 'we don't have time for
idiots argument' as is done so often here.

There is no reason to take a flamethrower to just
about anyone who tries to report a problem.

Bill Stoddard is usually very polite and IBM has
a stake in all this, right? Why not let Stoddard
be the 'front end'? At least he has some manners.

Isn't that one of the reasons IBM put a 'cushion'
in... so they could 'shield' their serious customers
from having to deal with Apache directly? Doesn't
that tell you something?

'Were there any relevant errors in the logs'
is superior to
'You dumb-shit... can't you read'?.

Even as a CTO I do still do support every day,
all day sometimes. No, it isn't 'fun'... it's real work.

I'm just tired of hearing the paranioa from you
guys about people 'catching up' to you and you
all stumbling for reasons why. A lot of the reasons
are right in front of your eyes.

That's it. That's all I had to say.
I really am trying to be helpful here but I doubt
anyone there ( maybe Brian ) will pick up on that.

Fire retardant keyboard now installed so go ahead
and fire away like you all do so well.

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.