httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten von Eicken <...@expertcity.com>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 18:23:28 GMT
Thanks for clarifying the current hybrid approach. I guess the fact that
many thread libs leak memory is a good argument for keeping a hybrid
approach as opposed to having the alternative between a pure multiprocess
approach and a pure multithreaded approach: restart those processes from
time to time as they get too big...
         Thanks,
                 Thorsten

At 10:56 AM 7/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>yOn Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
>
> > I've been reading 2.0/mpm for a couple of days and am still a bit puzzled
> > by the hybrid server's strategy of using processes and threads. More
> > precisely, I don't understand why the number of threads per process is
> > constant and the number of processes varies with load.
>
>The reasoning behind this is largely historical.  It was decided to use a
>variable number of processes, and a fixed number of threads, because it
>was easier to code, and this was a first draft/prototype.  We also looked
>at some previous implementations of similar code that tried to grow the
>thread pool, and most pthread libraries have memory leaks.  When a thread
>is destroyed, either by itself, or by another thread, it almost always
>leaves some memory around, and this can get quite large in time.  We were
>going for a proof of concept, and proff that a hybrid Apache was more
>scalable.
>
>This also would have required a very different scheme for controlling
>threads/processes.  The parent process really couldn't determine when to
>tell a process to create a new thread in the current communication model.
>Dean is trying to solve this problem, but it isn't a problem we wanted to
>tackle in the first implementation.  We wanted to keep the basic
>architecture for Apache the same.
>
>Ryan
>

> >  From a parallel computing background I would have done the opposite. I
> > would have expected to set the number of processes to approx the number of
> > processors in the system, and then used the threads to basically multiplex
> > one processor. Ideally some affinity between processes and processors
> could
> > be set-up to improve cache behavior. Thus the threads are used to keep
> > track of the state for the N requests each process has up in the air at a
> > given time and the processes are used to get parallelism across the
> > processors of a multiprocessor machine.
> >
> > Can a kind soul explain to me how to think about the approach taken in the
> > hybrid server?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >       Thorsten von Eicken
> >
> > ~~~~~
> > Thorsten von Eicken
> > expertcity.com                              Phone: (805) 964-0383 x313
> > 5385 Hollister Ave #111                     Fax:   (805) 964-6103
> > Santa Barbara, CA 93111                     Cell:  (805) 403-0982

>Ryan Bloom              rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
>4205 S Miami Blvd
>RTP, NC 27709           It's a beautiful sight to see good dancers
>                         doing simple steps.  It's a painful sight to
>                         see beginners doing complicated patterns.

~~~~~