httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten von Eicken <...@expertcity.com>
Subject newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Sat, 03 Jul 1999 07:07:07 GMT
I've been reading 2.0/mpm for a couple of days and am still a bit puzzled
by the hybrid server's strategy of using processes and threads. More
precisely, I don't understand why the number of threads per process is
constant and the number of processes varies with load.

 From a parallel computing background I would have done the opposite. I
would have expected to set the number of processes to approx the number of
processors in the system, and then used the threads to basically multiplex
one processor. Ideally some affinity between processes and processors could
be set-up to improve cache behavior. Thus the threads are used to keep
track of the state for the N requests each process has up in the air at a
given time and the processes are used to get parallelism across the
processors of a multiprocessor machine.

Can a kind soul explain to me how to think about the approach taken in the
hybrid server?

Thanks,
	Thorsten von Eicken

~~~~~
Thorsten von Eicken
expertcity.com                              Phone: (805) 964-0383 x313
5385 Hollister Ave #111                     Fax:   (805) 964-6103
Santa Barbara, CA 93111                     Cell:  (805) 403-0982