httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/modules/mpm/mpmt_pthread mpmt_pthread.c
Date Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:28:17 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> Ben, you ignorant slut...

I love it when you talk dirty...

> >Bearing in mind that the constant FALSE is not defined by C (in other
> >words, I meant that NULL is false in a boolean context), you are wrong.
>
> phthht ...  NULL doesn't become false until it is converted to an int
> within a boolean context.  (9 - 9) is false by the same logic.  It
> evaluates to false, but that doesn't make it equivalent to false
> when what we are talking about is code readability.

Naughty ... moving the goalposts. Go to the bottom of the class.

> >NULL is false (lower case used to help make the point that I'm not
> >talking about some "false" constant) because if(NULL) fails. The warning
> >occurs because in the case in question we were trying to make a boolean
> >variable, which you can't do, so we used an integer as a standin, not
> >because NULL is not false.
> >
> >If we had elected to use a pointer as a standin for a boolean, there
> >would have been no warning.
>
> That's just because the warning would occur too often, not because it is
> somehow the right thing to do.  Implicit type conversion happens.

And again.

> >> A person who reads code as if pointers are the same as ints just because
> >> they have the same machine representation is going to screw up as soon as
> >> they get to pointer arithmetic.
> >
> >This is very true, but since I haven't made that error, hardly relevant.
> >
> >> I don't care what style you use, so long
> >> as you don't teach it to anyone else when I'm in the same room.
> >
> >Try and stop me, big boy. ;-)
> >
> >Or, alternatively, lecture me about C style when you've learnt it
> >properly.
>
> I usually teach people how to program first.

Is that with or without boxing gloves?

And since we're making references to old stuff, here's my parting shot:
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." No
prize for identifying the quote :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

--