httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/mpm/src/modules/mpm/mpmt_pthread mpmt_pthread.c
Date Sat, 31 Jul 1999 10:53:11 GMT
"Roy T. Fielding" wrote:

> >  -    one_process = getenv("ONE_PROCESS");
> >  +    one_process = !!getenv("ONE_PROCESS");
>
> Just for the record, any style that preserves characters at the cost
> of making the code unreadable is incredibly lame.  The right way to
> code it so that others know what you meant is
>
>         one_process = (getenv("ONE_PROCESS") != NULL);
>
> Forcing the code reader to perform mental gymnastics just to figure out
> the value of what is otherwise an obvious boolean expression will just
> cause you to be cursed by those who maintain your code.
>
> Obfuscated C is for wankers who code in the closet.

Phooey. If you think working out what "not not" means is mental
gymnastics, its obviously time you stopped wanking.

Imposing your preferred style on people without due process is
incredibly lame. I hate comparing to NULL. NULL is FALSE. Everyone knows
that (everyone with a clue, that is).

Cheers,

Ben.

--