httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Apache 2000, err Apache 2.0 gets real
Date Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:29:31 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Steps to an Apache 2.0 beta release:
> 1. Create a clean Apache 2.0 repository
>    Move the mpm repository into a non Apache 2.0 tree. Move the
>    repository, rename it, whatever. How it's done is not important. We
>    just need a clean Apache-2.0 repository to begin work in.  Perhaps
>    create a new apache-sandbox repository and put both apache-apr and
>    apache-mpm into it.

I'd like to see a new module opened with a name that has nothing
to do with a version number.  I don't particularly care for
'sandbox,' though; maybe 'apache-future' or 'apache-exp'?

> 2. Seed/Populate Apache 2.0 repository
>    This is the first of a multi step process to build the Apache 2.0
>    beta release candidate. The repository is initially populated with
>    a merge of the Apache 1.3.7 release and the apache-apr repository.

The whole APR module, or just the hybrid server in it?  I'm in favour
of the latter.. it keeps the separation between APR and the HTTP
server, which I consider valuable.  If anything else ever wants to
use APR, it shouldn't have to weed it out of the HTTP server project.
Once the HTTP server is autoconf'd, telling the build to find the
APR libraries in another directory should be a snap.  I don't see
a need for APR to be in the HTTP tree.

> 5. Hand merge select apache-mpm work into apache-2.0
>    Specifically, add the mpm module restructure and the API hook work.

I rather like this plan.  It gives us a goal-oriented tree in
which to work toward a specific version, and an experimental one
in which wild-goose stuff can happen.  Once something's proved out
and found desirable in the experimental tree, it can be copied
back and merged into the 2.0 tree without holding either one
up.  Those who have specific stuff they want to work on just
need concentrate on the appropriate tree (Dean et alia for
experimental stuff, IBM for the next stable release, et cetera).
#ken    P-)}

Apache Software Foundation  <>
"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>

View raw message