httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Upcoming 'Upgrade' draft
Date Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:18:32 GMT
This may be old news, but it was new to me..

At the Security Area open meeting yesterday at IETF-45, Rohit Khare mentioned
an upcoming draft defining an extension permitting a transaction to
open with HTTP, and then 'upgrade' to something like HTTPS.  As I
recall, the user agent would make an 'OPTIONS *' request with an
'Upgrade: https' header field, and if the response indicated an
upgrade were possible, the user agent and server could negociate
to switch to HTTPS.  Or whatever.

I have have totally hashed this (it's a day later with not enough
sleep intervening), but I think the idea was to break the
HTTPS/port443 (and similar) forced association.

Well, anyway, it sounded kinda cool.  FWIW.
--

#ken P-)}