httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael H. Voase" <mvo...@midcoast.com.au>
Subject Re: Shared memory in APR. (fwd)
Date Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:35:29 GMT
Gday,

	Alright, I see what I missed. Ill get out the
paper bag and sit in the corner for a while to cool off ;).

	So in that case I can peel of a fork of
apr and convert it into a portability lib?

Cheers Mik Voase.

Ryan Bloom wrote:

> >       So why have memory handling features in
> > apr at all?
>
> Because the alternatives are expensive.  malloc/free are not cheap
> functions to use.  By providing a pool, I save time when I have to
> allocate an apr type.  You don't want pools, fine replace them.  It isn't
> hard.  There are a finite set of functions that implement the pools in
> apr.  Granted, right now they are hidden in a few files, but really there
> are just a few of them.  With a few well placed ifdefs, ap_palloc becomes
> malloc.  It's really not that hard.

 /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
 | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
 |         |            Phone +612 6567 1227 Fax +612 6567 1449
 |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
 |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          Castle Industries - Industrial Strength
Solutions.