httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: pthreads in apr ...
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:08:01 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ryan Bloom wrote:
> >
> > Thge two programs use two different configure scritps right now, so it
> > doesn't matter.  APR uses autoconf.  Apache-mpm uses the Apache configure
> > scripts.  My understanding is that Apache is waiting to use autoconf until
> > somebody does the work.
> >

> I don't think how Apache is [cC]onfigured should hold anyone up as
> far as working on 2.0. We've been able to handle just about any
> configuration desire or need up to now, and I tend to think that
> we'll continue to be able to do that. Just that the idea of a "total
> rewrite from the ground up" stalled development of 2.0, so does
> the idea that "we need to scrap what we have for autoconf." I'm
> not saying that anything one way or another re: autoconf, just
> stating the facts :)

It does have to be said that configuration is not a problem, so use of
autoconf has effectively become a religious issue. I suspect switching
will cause a great deal of pain, but I find myself strangely neutral on
the question, despite that. I suspect that the correct use of autoconf
brings on a useful mindset, but I have zero hard evidence for that, and
a good deal of soft evidence that shows that autoconf is difficult to
use correctly :-)

But the _best_ thing is that, it seems, 2.0 is no longer stalled. This
is very cool!

Cheers,

Ben.

--