httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Fri, 09 Jul 1999 19:17:16 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <37833A89.3C16FFE8@algroup.co.uk> you wrote:
> > coar@hyperreal.org wrote:
> >>
> >>         Veto EAPI for 1.3.7 (too much confusion and controversy, esp.
> >>         with the KEAPI alternative); defer it until the next release.
> >>         Also note some platforms I can build.
> >
> > Note that I am introducing further confusion by replacing the entire
> > module callback API with hooks in MPM.
> >
> > There are various reasons I haven't used either EAPI or KEAPI but here's
> > the highlights:
> >
> > a) efficiency
> > b) 100% typesafeness
> > c) entanglement with SSL (in at least KEAPI's case)
> > d) somewhat different motivation: I want to replace the whole callback
> > API and allow protocol independence
> > e) I need a way to allow modules to specify ordering, which (AFAIK)
> > neither EAPI or KEAPI had
> > f) The first great virtue of a programmer, laziness: as has been
> > observed, writing the hooking stuff isn't that hard. It was easier for
> > me to start again than to figure out how to hack things to get where I
> > want to go.
> > g) I was kind of hoping that people might contribute if I do it a piece
> > at a time, thus getting something everyone is happy with.
>
> <grin> Oh... Ben! When you had done EAPI and I would do what you do here I'm
> sure you had killed me for my actions, right?

Possibly, but this is Dean's toy and I've discussed what I'm doing with
Dean.

> Especially because except for
> point b) [which cannot be done in EAPI at the same time while one tries to
> provide DSO support] and

Why not?

> e) [which can be added without pain to EAPI] you
> mainly reinvent the wheel IMHO. But ok, as long as it makes you and the others
> happy, I'll force me to have no objections...

As I understood it, EAPI uses a completely different approach, so I'm
not sure what you think I'm reinventing.

> > I invite interested parties to look at what I'm doing in MPM before its
> > too late.
>
> I personally had appreciated that you first looked at EAPI or KEAPI and tried
> to add your features there, before you started to write something new, of
> course. At least please let your stuff work in a loosly coupled way under DSO
> situation, too. That's important...

I did look at EAPI/KEAPI. I have to admit EAPI was a while back, so I've
mostly forgotten how it works, but the fact that it was inefficient and
not typesafe ruled it out as far as I was concerned.

KEAPI was possibly nearer to what I needed, but as I commented above,
I'm being lazy.

Cheers,

Ben.

--