httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael H. Voase" <mvo...@midcoast.com.au>
Subject Re: you know you're a geek when
Date Thu, 08 Jul 1999 10:02:42 GMT
Gday,

	Spiderman , this has been brought up before
and will be included in ( 3rd party or otherwise )
apache MPM modules . I have been toying around with
a socket based configuration and administaration API
for mpm_renegade , there may be other efforts in this
direction as well ..

Of course the other way to configure a farm of
machines could be to use PVM message passing .
However suffice to say this kind of apache
mass machine management is in the pipe line
and will probably be released either late this
year or early next year ..

Cheers Mik Voase.

Spidaman The Defenestrator wrote:

> ...you wake up and you want to configure your Apache servers from piped
> input.  In a similar manner to saying
> <CustomLog>"|/path/to/log/munger"<CustomLog/>
> I'd like to be able to have my httpd.conf just be
> <Include>"/path/to/configuration/output|"<Include/>
> which would make managing _clusters_ of Apache servers greatly simplified.
> /path/to/configuration/output could be simply
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cat /some/httpd.conf
>
> but a more powerful use would be a simple Perl script to fetch the
> configuration parameters from a database.  Managing the cluster via a form
> interface and mod_perl or PHP would be a snap.  Of course, some kind of
> corba thing or something to HUP the servers upon a new database commit
> would still be needed.  Anyway, it beats managing cluster configurations
> with rdist or rsync, IMO.
>
> Has any of this already been discussed for Apache 2.0 and I missed it?  I
> really _should_ go back to bed now.  My hot cocoa is ready.
> Dreamin',
> -Ian
>
> --
> Salon Internet                          http://www.salon.com/
>   HTTP mechanic, Perl diver, Mebwaster, Some of the above
> Ian Kallen <idk@salon.com> / AIM: iankallen / Fax: (561) 619-0995

 /~\     /~\            CASTLE INDUSTRIES PTY. LTD.
 | |_____| |            Incorporated 1969. in N.S.W., Australia
 |         |            Phone +612 6567 1227 Fax +612 6567 1449
 |   /~\   |            Web http://www.midcoast.com.au/~mvoase
 |   [ ]   |            Michael H. Voase.  Director.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~          Castle Industries - Industrial Strength
Solutions.