httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: A tech question about the OPTIONS method.
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:23:44 GMT
Jayaram A wrote:

> 1. If I have a document </path/to/the/doc.html> where
>    </path/to/the> directory is enabled for PUT method, does the above
>    statement from HTTP/1.1 spec imply that the request
>         "OPTIONS </path/to/the/doc.html> HTTP/1.1"
>    should be responded with the "PUT" method as well in the "Allow:"
>    header from the server?

Yes, unless the specific document has had that method
disabled somehow.

> 2. Secondly, if a server supports methods other than GET, HEAD, OPTIONS
>    and TRACE, (say PUT) should the request
>         "OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1"
>    be responded with PUT method as well in the "Allow:" header from the
>    server?

Yes.

> I understood that Apache Server does neither of the above.
> As I understood from the code that the response form Apache is always
> "Allow: GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE" irrespective of other methods
> supported, I just wanted to confirm my understanding about it.

No, Apache doesn't always respond with that set.  It is
deficient in dealing with OPTIONS responses when it comes
to new methods (such as the WebDAV ones) and dynamic resources
(such as CGI scripts), but it's *mostly* correct.
--
#ken    P-)}