httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@fast.co.za>
Subject Re: MS FUD
Date Fri, 02 Jul 1999 00:19:24 GMT
Brian Schau wrote:

> Yeah.  I'm familiar with the 'heise'-bench.   They did a good job of
> emulating a real-life situation.   But I'd like to hear it from the
> people with dirty hands - those who run either linux or NT (or both) ...

I have used both webservers and environments extensively, and raw
performance is one of the smallest parameters I am worried about. I
would rather keep the machine overspecced with room to grow rather than
leaving it overloaded all the time - less downtime, fewer irate calls to
me from clients and management.

The single most important feature I need in all but the most trivial of
webserver installation is flexibility. The reason for this is simple. In
any reasonably large webserver installation, you are constantly
requested to make changes to the installation. In many cases these
changes can either conflict with or contradict the needs of other users
of the server - you need to keep all the people happy all the time. IIS
is hopeless in this situation, as any change almost always results in
either a reboot or a service outage of some kind, if your configuration
is even possible. Apache has turned out to be the ideal choice because
to date it's handled any and every esoteric configration request without
a problem.

In my case I'm talking about a Fortune 500 company, and not an ISP.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street