httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: use of stdio for error_log
Date Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:07:15 GMT
Michael Douglass wrote:

> > Why, again, is this needed? Is it because each vhost has it's own
> > error_log ? If so, then I have to ask "why?" :)
>
> Let's see.  More than 200 vsites each wanting to do cgi, thus each
> wanting to be able to debug their cgi.  Output to STDERR from cgi
> goes to the error_log.  Now I have to ask "why not?" :)

Sounds like vhosts that need to learn how to program correctly. :)

Besides, the cgi could just as easily send such debugging message
to stdout. Course, if the patch is good and doesn't effect anyone
else, then allowing error_log to be piped might make sense.

PS: Hopefully you've setup the error logs correctly (ie: they don't
    exist in the vhosts's directory, owned by them, etc...)