httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@staff.texas.net>
Subject Re: [patch included] Re: use of stdio for error_log
Date Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:27:37 GMT
On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 02:18:31PM -0400, Jim Jagielski said:
> Michael Douglass wrote:
> >

> > Here's the modifications I made to apache 1.3.3 (sorry I didn't grab the
> > latest--if there are any changes between 1.3.3 and 1.3.6 I'm certain
> > you guys can figure them out).  I also don't know if you really want to
> > merge this into the core as there are probably modules out there that
> > try to directly access the s->error_log variable (ie. mod_perl--though
> > mod_perl's use is very limited and not hard to fix at all).
> >

> I'm confused. Are you saying that your fopen() limit is smaller than your
> open() limit?

Yes; under Solaris there is a 256 limit in the stupid libraries for fopen.
Here's the information on the apache web page about the problem.

http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/descriptors.html

By reading this web page it sounds like the only real "big" thing
you guys use stdio for is the error_log--and with the API wrapping
most intelligent access to the error_log files I don't see any
reason to use stdio--especially since you're already doing all of
the formatting using ap_vsnprintf() and doing a simple fputs() and
fputc() call to the logfile.

--
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable for a feature.
    -- from some indian guy