httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <>
Subject Re: use of stdio for error_log
Date Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:16:06 GMT

> > Let's see.  More than 200 vsites each wanting to do cgi, thus each
> > wanting to be able to debug their cgi.  Output to STDERR from cgi
> > goes to the error_log.  Now I have to ask "why not?" :)
> >
> Sounds like vhosts that need to learn how to program correctly. :)

Heh; too true.

> Besides, the cgi could just as easily send such debugging message
> to stdout. Course, if the patch is good and doesn't effect anyone
> else, then allowing error_log to be piped might make sense.

That's actually the one area where I'm not certain of in my chages
is where you allow |/web/bin/my-errorlog-pipe-process for an errorlog.
I left the ap_pfopen() in place and stole the file descriptor from
the FILE *dummy after all was said and done.  I believe this to be
safe as the stdio buffers will never be used by the code; and the
cleanup will take care to close the file descriptor.  I was going
to have it use the _core version of the spawn child--but noticed
that it wasn't exported as an api.  (the _core returns the file
descriptors by themselves and not FILE pointers.)

> PS: Hopefully you've setup the error logs correctly (ie: they don't
>     exist in the vhosts's directory, owned by them, etc...)

:)  Their in a directory which is owned by root, as are the files.  All
directories leading to said directory are also owned by root. :)  Those
log files aren't doing anything I don't want them to do.

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable for a feature.
    -- from some indian guy

View raw message