httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject New MPM: dexter
Date Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:15:44 GMT
The dexter MPM is now committed to the apache-2.0/mpm tree. It's
derived from the mpmt_pthread MPM, with two changes: the number of
processes is fixed (set by NumServers), and the shared memory
scoreboard has been eliminated. This could serve as a jumping-off
point for other MPMs, such as the async I/O MPMs people have talked
about, or something similar to the pthread MPM with threads scheduled
instead of processes. If multiple people want to use this as a base
for different kinds of work, then it'll probably be better to copy the
MPM with a different name and work off of that.

What I've been thinking of doing:

- Trying out weird schemes for thread management: letting each process
  schedule its own threads independantly, or Dean's ideas for
  centralized scoreboardless management of child threads by the
  parent.

- Maybe some asynchronous I/O stuff, though I don't understand what
  the state of the code in src/main is for doing this sort of thing
  yet.

People are welcome to thrash at anything and everything in there.

--
Manoj Kasichainula - manojk@raleigh.ibm.com
IBM, Apache Development