httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: PTH in APR
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:57:45 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.04.9907101314200.21638-100000@chosondo.raleigh.ibm.com> you wrote:

> I am going to get in on this discussion.  I have been away for the last
> few days, so I haven't said anything about putting pth into apr.  It isn't
> going to happen anytime soon.  The plan is, I am going to put A user-land
> thread library into apr, at somepoint in the future.  I do not know which
> one, and I do not know when.  If pth is the best choice, that is the one
> we will use.  If it makes the most sense to have compile time options,
> that is what I will use.  Basically, there has been no work done on this,
> and there won't be for a while.

IMHO for APR it's best to go the way of a pure thread library _wrapper_,
similar to what glib (one of the underlaying libs of Gtk) does with its
gthread library. Sure, putting Pth into APR could be nice to have a portable
fallback threading facility and I personally have no objections to do this,
but I think it will at least fail for APR because of the license issues we've
already discussed. Keeping the stuff externally at least also doesn't harm
here.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com