httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src CHANGES
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:34:59 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <19990710182727.139.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
>
> >   Make configure SysV tr happy. Also, some typos :)
> >
> >   -                    apc_optarg=`echo "$apc_optarg" | tr "A-Z" "a-z"`
> >   -                    apc_optarg_real=`echo "$apc_optarg" | tr "a-z" "A-Z"`
> >   +                    apc_optarg=`echo "$apc_optarg" | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`
> >   +                    apc_optarg_real=`echo "$apc_optarg" | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'`
>
> Yeah, but I'd to learn with GNU shtool the last weeks that there is only
> one(!) really portable way:
>
> tr 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz' 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
>
> Anything else, including the above [a-z], failed on some platforms for me.
> It's unbelievable, I know. But doubt me, only the above expanded form survived
> all platforms. So please use this one, please.

Hmmm... I'm guess that the 'tr' in question is interpreting the '-' not
as a range but as the real "dash" character. Or, you're not doing a
one for one sub but maybe a deletion? The reason '[a-z]' works for
both BSD and SysV is that under SysV, the '[]' are required but
under BSD we simply have an inefficient mapping when we map '[' to

This is also what we have in Configure...

Those 'tr's where it failed must be seriously broken... Do they work
with

    tr "[a-z]" "[A-Z]"

?