httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@devsys.jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: MPM: HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=8, scoreboard layout
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:30:04 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> But keep in mind that now there is no longer a real difference between a rule
> and a variable, Jim ;) I've to admit that now I think the most consistent
> thing would be to completely remove either the rules (by making them
> variables) or the variables (by making them rules), wouldn't it?  At least now
> that rules can be assigned arbitrary values I personally see no longer a
> reason why we need both. What's your opinion, Jim?

Well, when I first created the idea of Rules, it was to allow for
the Configure process to control how the _build_ process works.
It wasn't just to pass variables around (ala CC or OPTIM) but
something "deeper." In some ways, Rules are "known" only to
Configure and nothing else, whereas variables must be passed along
to Makefiles. IMO there is still a difference between a rule
and a variable, even if it's an artificial one.

A good example, I think, is the MPM method selection. This is best
suited as a Rule because once the correct source files are selected
by the Configure process, there is no need for that information to
"hang around."