httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject Re: MPM: HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=8, scoreboard layout
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:08:21 GMT

In article <> you wrote:
> Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
>> I think it will be impossible for mod_status to be portable between
>> MPMs, simply because it has to know so many details about specific
>> MPMs. So, each MPM would have its own mod_status (and mod_info). How
>> this is organized will be a fun question, though. Maybe the MPM should
>> build the correct hooks so that it is its own status module. (Ow! that
>> hurts!)
> There are a few ways to do that... I would suggest that if anyone
> has, for example, a pthreads version of mod_status, simply
> upload it and we'll figure out a way to have it included iff the
> pthreads MPM is used. One thing I will do is remove that Rule MPM
> and the MPM_METHOD "setting" back to what they were (Rule MPM_METHOD)
> since the Rule technique would really be the way to do this. Ralf's
> point was that Rules "are only" yes/no/default but that's only because
> that's the only way we've used them up to now. The code was cleaner
> when we "enhanced" Rule rather than restrict it.

But keep in mind that now there is no longer a real difference between a rule
and a variable, Jim ;) I've to admit that now I think the most consistent
thing would be to completely remove either the rules (by making them
variables) or the variables (by making them rules), wouldn't it?  At least now
that rules can be assigned arbitrary values I personally see no longer a
reason why we need both. What's your opinion, Jim?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message