httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Sun, 11 Jul 1999 07:01:25 GMT
On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:26:06 -0400 (EDT), Ryan Bloom wrote:

>I have spoken to MANY people about this in the last few days.  There are
>now two platforms I know of which can handle a seg fault within a thread.
>They are MVS and AS/400.  It is possible for OS/2 to catch a sigsegv, it
>is also possible for UNIX to do this.  I have spoken to two different OS/2
>programmers, who agree that catching a sigsegv and treating it as if it
>never happened is not a good idea.  There is no garauntee that the thread
>that caused the sigsegv will be the one to get the signal.  IMHO, this is
>a bad idea, and it should be re-considered.

I never proposed treating a segfault like it never happened. I'm going to
terminate the thread that caused it. And your programmers are mistaken. If
you use the correct OS/2 API call (in this case DosSetExceptionHandler()) you
ARE guaranteed that the thread in error gets the exception. In fact you can
register a different exception handler for each thread if you want.