httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Havard" <bri...@kheldar.apana.org.au>
Subject Re: newbie thread/process model question in hybrid server
Date Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:43:01 GMT
On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 07:08:30 -0400 (EDT), Ryan Bloom wrote:

>Actually, the argument for a hybrid approach has nothing to do with memory
>leak.  That is the argument for a static number of threads.  The argument
>for a hybrid server, is reliability.  Threads go down, just like processes
>do, but when a thread goes down, so do the rest of the threads in the
>process.  I have yet to see an OS that can recover a process when one of
>it's threads dies unexpectedly.

OS/2 can (I wrote a test program to prove it actually works too). Is this the
only benefit of the hybrid approach? In OS/2 I can trap segfaults (and any
other kind of fatal error) in an exception handler which can simply terminate
the thread, possibly after doing some cleanup. It can also detect reentry
into the exception handler so that if the cleanup segfaults it doesn't end up
in an endless loop.

Because of this I suspect that I can do a purely threaded approach and will
start doing an MPM for it once I figure out how to do that :)