httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: GNU Portable Threads (pth)
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:13:30 GMT

In article <Pine.WNT.4.10.9907050940060.-306577@shell> you wrote:

> [...]
> Basically there is just no way any GPL nor LGPL code can be compatible
> with the Apache license if we want to continue with the idea that we want
> corporations to be involved with the development and have them create
> commercial versions.

I really like opinion ping-pong... ;) Last time we discussed this issue (it
was for mod_js which uses NGS JS which was GPL and was changed to LGPL because
of our complains) we all agreed that GPL'ed stuff is not useable for Apache,
of course.  But that LGPL'ed stuff is ok. <grin> And now, a few months later,
the situation is totally different and people also complain about LGPL. It is
very confusing IMHO, isn't it?

Ok, on the other hand: calm down friends, my pth library is not intended to
become part of the Apache source tree, so why the complains at all? All I said
was that I was able to run Apache-MPM with pth as the pthread library. Here
pth is just some sort of pthread fallback library you can get externally and
just link Apache against it. And for this situation there should be really no
problem, right? I think you complained a little bit too fast. Nevertheless it
seems to be time that the ASF board writes down a few official statements or
we'll end with more of such confusion in the future. Roy or Brian, already any
particular plans for this?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com