httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject Re: GNU Portable Threads (pth)
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:58:23 GMT

In article <> you wrote:
> "Ralf S. Engelschall" wrote:
>> I just want to drop you multithreading fans a note that my GNU Portable
>> Threads (pth) package is now available as version 1.0b2 from
>> (formerly known under the coding-name NPS).
>> It's licensed under LGPL and so it should not offend the non-GPL-friends under
>> us ;)
> The LGPL pretty much rules out this being used in Apache. Most corporations and
> Universities with patent portfolios cannot can't ship it, touch it or look at it.
> How do you suppose I can build a product based on it?

Why? LGPL explicitly allows the stuff to be used inside commercial stuff like
yours and it doesn't force the using application to be under the same license.
You can even build a product out of it as long as you make sure that your
customers can get the source for the lib on request.

And we already agreed some times ago (when we talked about a Javascript module
which used NGS JS) that even a LGPL module is no problem. So I'm a little bit
confused by your statement. Why exactly do you think that a LGPL'ed library
cannot be used inside Apache? Either a new point was introduced or I've
forgotten or overlooked and old point. Can you give more details, Bill?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message