httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jayaram A <jaya...@tagore.wipinfo.soft.net>
Subject A tech question about the OPTIONS method.
Date Mon, 05 Jul 1999 07:49:58 GMT

Hello,

I am a new member to this group, trying to understand HTTP and Apache.
This is a tech question about the OPTIONS method.

HTTP/1.1 spec says:
If the Request-URI is not an asterisk, the OPTIONS request applies
only to the options that are available when communicating with that
resource.

Now, my queries are:

1. If I have a document </path/to/the/doc.html> where
   </path/to/the> directory is enabled for PUT method, does the above
   statement from HTTP/1.1 spec imply that the request
   	"OPTIONS </path/to/the/doc.html> HTTP/1.1"
   should be responded with the "PUT" method as well in the "Allow:"
   header from the server?

2. Secondly, if a server supports methods other than GET, HEAD, OPTIONS
   and TRACE, (say PUT) should the request
   	"OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1"
   be responded with PUT method as well in the "Allow:" header from the
   server?

I understood that Apache Server does neither of the above.
As I understood from the code that the response form Apache is always
"Allow: GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE" irrespective of other methods
supported, I just wanted to confirm my understanding about it.

Thanks in advance,
Jayaram.