httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject GNU Portable Threads (pth)
Date Sun, 04 Jul 1999 17:27:01 GMT

I just want to drop you multithreading fans a note that my GNU Portable
Threads (pth) package is now available as version 1.0b2 from
http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/ (formerly known under the coding-name NPS).
It's licensed under LGPL and so it should not offend the non-GPL-friends under
us ;)

In short, it's a maximum portable non-preemptive user-land threading library
which is based entirely on just POSIX functions and plain ANSI C code.  The
portability aspect here is the primary goal, but nevertheless it also includes
some special features not found in other threading libraries.

For instance it includes a flexible event facility inspired by Paul Vixies
eventlib which allows threads to explicitly wait until various types of events
occur, including pending I/O on filedescriptors, asynchronous signals, elapsed
timers, pending I/O on message ports, thread and process termination, and even
customized callback functions.  Or it provides inter-thread communication
through message ports as known from the good old AmigaOS' Exec.

Additionally it provides the first cut of an optional emulation API for
POSIX.1c threads ("pthreads") which can be used for backward compatibility to
existing multithreaded applications. It's at it's first stages but I was at
least already successful in running the MPM/pthread port of our Apache
development version with it. I think RST would like this Apache variant,
because although it uses a slightly different approach, it is similar in
result to what he did in 1996 ;)

Your feedback is welcome.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com