httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Questions: apache-pthreads, apache-mpm
Date Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:12:25 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.990703182101.14195J-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
>> 2. apache-mpm:
>>    Additionally I today also tried Dean's MPM, but the source tree seems to be
>>    not in a useable state. I just got:
>>       | <=== src/modules/standard
>>       | ===> src/modules/mpm/
>>       | make: don't know how to make all. Stop
>>       | *** Error code 1
>>    Dean, is just some stuff in your work tree still not comitted which fixes
>>    the source tree, or how else can one try it out? I wanted to look how much
>>    work it is to provide a native MPM module for NPS (my threading library)
>>    and how much work it is to port the MPM pthread module to NPS' pthread
>>    wrapper library.
>
> You probably need to use the Configuration.mpm file directly rather than
> using the configure above src ... or something along those lines?
> the tree should be useable though.  It just needs a "Rule
> MPM_METHOD=default"  maybe ?

Ahh... yes, that was the problem. MPM_METHOD wasn't in Configuration.tmpl.
After adding it one can use configure as long as one disables a few modules
(they need ap_send_fb which seems to be kicked out):

$ ./configure \
  --disable-module=status" \
  --disable-module=include" \
  --disable-module=cgi" \

But the problem is that Rule's aren't intended to get a value other than
yes/no/default assigned, so it doesn't play nice with the existing config
stuff.  I suggest that we rename "Rule MPM_METHOD=default" to a variable
"MPM_METHOD=default" (which can then get any value assigned) and for enabling
the stuff we use a boolean "Rule MPM=default".  This way one can configure
apache-mpm for preforking via

$ ./configure --enable-rule=MPM

or explicitly

$ MPM_METHOD=prefork ./configure --enable-rule=MPM

and for threading via:

$ MPM_METHOD=mpmt_pthread ./configure --enable-rule=MPM

I felt free to commit a change for this. Hope it is ok.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com