httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Jones <>
Subject Re: Shared memory in APR. (fwd)
Date Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:51:49 GMT
Ryan Bloom <> writes:
>Every Unix shared memory call I know of has a way to do this.  It is
>simply a matter of designing things so that they work.  This is where I am
>getting hung up.  Basically, we need a MM_child_reopen_shared_memory()

For non-forking systems, there are 2 aspects to the shared memory problem:
   1. Making the same data page accessible to more than one process.
   2. Making the processes see the shared data at the same address.

As long as your shared data structures don't use memory addresses for
their pointers, then item 2 is not an issue.

David L. Jones               |      Phone:    (614) 292-6929
Ohio State University        |      Internet:
140 W. 19th St. Rm. 231a     |
Columbus, OH 43210           |

Disclaimer: Dogs can't tell it's not bacon.

View raw message