httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.on.ca>
Subject Re: work in progress: mpm-3.tar.gz (fwd)
Date Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:51:10 GMT
> And my general hunch about it is still negative, in the sense that I think
> we'd bump into many problems, especially in modules that use 3rd party
> libraries that are also thread safe (for example, say you initialize the
> MySQL client library in one phase, and then use it in another - there's a
> good chance there's thread-specific initialization in that library, and it
> won't happen in such a case;  In MySQL's case, I don't think we have a
> problem, but I'm almost sure there'd be others in which we would).  And
> there's also ISAPI.
>
> How feasible would it be to be able to mark a module as one that wants all
> of its request steps to be performed within the same thread?

Hrm, when I first read Dean's description, I thought about this too, but
figured we wouldn't have a problem because we really just have a single
entry point.  Our only other hook is the config stuff and we don't do
anything that I think would require it to be done from the same thread.
However, I could see this restriction being a pain if we wanted to be able
to enter PHP from more that just the content-handling request phase.
I would think this would be a big problem for mod_perl stuff.

-Rasmus