httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tani Hosokawa <unkn...@riverstyx.net>
Subject some questions about threaded apache
Date Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:50 GMT
I'm still experimenting with the threaded Apache, and I'm noticing some
odd behaviour.  I was wondering if someone could clarify things for me.

MinSpareServers 20
MaxSpareServers 40
StartServers 10
MaxClients 23
ThreadsPerChild 64

Now, I assumed that MinSpareServers would be the number of processes, each
with a variable number of threads.  So 1 and 2 would seem to be
reasonable.  However, when I use those values I get (according to
server-status) 0 idle servers, and I do see a noticeably slower connection
(although once connected I'm quick, presumably because I'm reusing my
connection).  When I increased those values to 20/40, it never kills any
threads, so I always have a total of 1454 threads (I chose those numbers
because I've limited NR_TASKS to 1500 per user).  This doesn't really pose
much of a problem to me, but I would assume that other people would like
the number of threads/processes to decrease when load dies down :-)

As an aside, threaded Apache seems to handle load MUCH better than normal
Apache... 1.3.6 showing a consistent load of about 6-9 only has a load of
1.2 on threaded apache :)

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet