httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/apr/test testfile.c
Date Mon, 07 Jun 1999 17:20:04 GMT

> > I wouldn't go so far as to call it broken. It updates the directory with the
> > final result rather than all the intermediate ones. Sure it's nice to be able
> > to watch a file grow as it's written but it's rarely of critical importance.
>
> I agree that the directory on disk doesn't need to be updated,
> but surely you agree that the directory information cached in
> memory by the filesystem ought to be?

That's the problem.  Until you flush the buffer or close the file, the
memory cache isn't updated.  I don't care if the data gets written to
disk, but if the platform is going to buffer information, than it needs to
use that buffered information all the time.  Not just for reading from the
file.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd