httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Bloom <...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-apr/apr/test testfile.c
Date Mon, 07 Jun 1999 11:54:36 GMT
On 6 Jun 1999 bjh@hyperreal.org wrote:

>   - The directory entry for a file doesn't have it's size attribute updated until
>     the file is closed or flushed.

I don't like this.  I would rather have the file flushed each time data is
written to it, than have to close the file to update the directory update.
I saw this same problem on Windows, and I just decided to flush the
buffer.  IMHO, the OS is broken if it is buffering output to a file, but
not using that buffer at ALL time the file is referenced.

Do you have any strong objections to putting the test back the way it was,
and flushing the file with each write.  I know it will cause a performance
hit, but it will make the results more predicatable.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com
4205 S Miami Blvd